STILL LIFE IN OILS
3-Day Workshop with Steven Parrish
$185 / $160 for members
Still life is a worthy subject in its own right, but it can also provide skills for improving landscape, portrait, interior and figure painting. Through demonstration and personalized instruction, students will strengthen their ability to mix and apply color with expressive brush strokes to create artistic representational paintings. Strong focus will be given to the painting process from concept to completion. The instructor will try to tailor the lesson to individual areas of concern.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
The instructor Steven Parrish is a fine artist from Steven City VA. He has studied from artists such as Gregg Kreutz, Kenn Backhaus, Kim English, and Joan Potter. He is a signature member of the Oil Painters of America, and have shown in numerous national and regional juried exhibitions.
“I have always been fascinated by the way light interacts with objects. My focus is to look for interesting objects and arrange them to achieve the interplay of light and shadow.” – Steven Parrish
1) portable easel
2) Surfaces to paint on, toned if that helps you (Canvas, gessoed board, etc)
3) oil paint (my current limited palette is; Titanium white, Ivory black, Ultramarine blue, Permanent rose, Cadmium lemon, Raw umber. I also may use Transparent red oxide, Turquoise, Indian yellow). WE can work with the colors you are familiar with.
4) paint brushes ( I use filberts almost exclusively, bristle, sable (Not often), and synthetic. a variety of sizes)
5) painting medium (I am using resin-gel and Gambling solvent free Gel currently, bring what you like)
6) Thinner ( I use Gamsol oderless mineral spirits)
7) palette knife
8) view finder if you have one (you should have one)
9) Any other painting thing you can’t live without.